ENGLISH VOCABULARY BY TOPICS
Topic 1: Food and Nutrition
1. Nutrient: A substance that provides nourishment, essential for growth and the maintenance ò good health.
Fruits and vegetables are rich in essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals.
The body requires a balance of various nutrients to function properly.
The nutritionist emphasized the importance of including nutrient-rich foods in the diet.
2. Balanced: Healthy, equitable, proportionate
Consisting of a variety of foods that provide a proper combination of nutrients.
• She strives to maintain a balanced approach to eating, enjoying her favorite foods in moderation.
3. Calorie: energy unit, kilojoule, heat unit
A unit of measurement used to quantify the amount of energy provided by food and expended through physical activity.
• The athlete carefully monitors her calorie intake to ensure she meets her energy needs.
• A high-calorie diet can contribute to weight gain and other health issues.
4. Organic: Natural, chemical-free, pesticide-free
Produced or grown without the use of synthetic chemicals or pesticides.
• Many people prefer organic fruits and vegetables due of their minimal pesticide exposure.
• Organic farming practices prioritize environmental sustainability and natural cultivation methods.
Credit to: CELPIP vocabulary by Ali Rastegari